It is Burn Awareness Week! February 4th-10th
Burn Awareness Week, observed the first full week of February. It is a window of opportunity for organizations to mobilize burn, fire and life safety educators to unite in sharing a common burn awareness and prevention message in our communities.
Here are just some National Burn Awareness Week facts for you to know.
- Burn injuries continue to be one of the leading causes of unintentional death and injury in the United States.
- One Civilian fire injury occurs every minute.
- Most of the burn injuries treated in burn centers occur in the home (73%) followed by work (8%).
- The life time odds of a U.S. resident dying from exposure to fire, flames, or smoke are 1 in 1,498.
- Almost one quarter (24%) of all burn injuries occur in children under the age of 15.
- 96.7% of those treated in burn centers will survive. Unfortunately, many survivors will sustain serious scarring and life-long physical disabilities.